As usual l was surfing the internet for depression cakes and I came across this recipe from http://www.jennycancook.com. I tried it and loved it. I did add some fruits that I soaked in alcohol. I did not use Dutch processed cocoa but it turned out great. It is a bit dense though, but it is easy to make and yummy.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used amel Susan baking Cocoa)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (not baking powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mixed fruits
- 2 cups cool water
- 12 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a bundt cake pan.
- Sift the dry ingredients and fruits into a bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl combine water, oil, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add liquids to bowl & gently stir until there are no lumps (about 30 seconds).
- Pour into pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pan and frost, glaze, or dust with powdered sugar.